Six Screws to Anthro Knock Off

Hello DIY-ers,

When I saw this chair from Anthropologie I knew I wanted to try and recreate the leather/fabric detail.   Mixing up a classic combination always appeals to me.  This chair lists for $1498.00.

image.jpg

I really just wanted to see if I could recreate the leather detail using items I had in my studio. I knew I didn't have any Ikat fabric, so I decided to make it a more of a neutral chair but with the leather (in this case Pleather) detail.

Enter this beauty:

It has the wrought iron details, weighs about 50 pounds and is in need of a facelift.

It has the wrought iron details, weighs about 50 pounds and is in need of a facelift.

It only had 6 screws to undo to release both top and bottom cushions.  I unscrewed the whole thing in no time.  I decided to leave the fabric on the chair back and just make a slip cover for it.  Using items that I had left over from other projects, I made an envelope cover.

See?  Only 6 Screws!

See?  Only 6 Screws!

Determine how much of each fabric you want to use.  I decided on a 2/3 leather 1/3 fabric ratio.  

Determine how much of each fabric you want to use.  I decided on a 2/3 leather 1/3 fabric ratio.  

After sewing fabric and leather together horizontally, I determined my vertical sewing lines.  Just 3 straight seams are necessary for this project.  The top of the seat back is not sewn because it has a channel where the fabric is tucked down and placed along the bottom bar.  Sounds fussy but it could not be easier!

After sewing fabric and leather together horizontally, I determined my vertical sewing lines.  Just 3 straight seams are necessary for this project.  The top of the seat back is not sewn because it has a channel where the fabric is tucked down and placed along the bottom bar.  Sounds fussy but it could not be easier!

In order to get a nice snug fit  I sewed the side seams once and tried it on the cushion.  It was not as tight as I wanted so I went back in and kept making a more narrow opening until I got the look I was after. Trimming small amounts each time ensures you won't cut off too much.  It is a balance because if its too loose it looks sloppy and too tight it won't fit.  I made sure it fit perfectly before finally trimming the seam allowance to 1/4" .

In order to get a nice snug fit  I sewed the side seams once and tried it on the cushion.  It was not as tight as I wanted so I went back in and kept making a more narrow opening until I got the look I was after. Trimming small amounts each time ensures you won't cut off too much.  It is a balance because if its too loose it looks sloppy and too tight it won't fit.  I made sure it fit perfectly before finally trimming the seam allowance to 1/4" .

2 Screws down, 4 to go.

2 Screws down, 4 to go.

The seat bottom needed some extra support so I went into my stash.  I added the yellow waffle cushion first, covered it in batting then wrapped the entire thing with fabric.  I used a staple gun and stapled about every 1/2".

The seat bottom needed some extra support so I went into my stash.  I added the yellow waffle cushion first, covered it in batting then wrapped the entire thing with fabric.  I used a staple gun and stapled about every 1/2".

4 more screws and we're done!

4 more screws and we're done!

image.jpg
image.jpg

I just love how this turned out!  It is so pretty and fresh and I think the leather/fabric combo looks great.  And, my chair cost $3.99!

Happy Upcycling!

Bernadette