HI Guys, I just wanted to let you see what happened when I brought home a table from Goodwill. I am no Rookie when it comes to upcycling but...
I paid a little more for this little beauty because I could tell that it was antique and very good quality. So....I brought it home, began to clean it up and what did I find when I removed the price tag?? Not one, not two but THREE deep holes right in the center of the table top!! They were hidden by the price tag and I missed them. I have no idea what could have been originally attached to this table but it was gone and 3 deep holes remained. Ugh!! I'm calling this post "Rookie Mistake" because I should have known better! Note to self: Be thorough when checking out a new piece.
Oh well, I paid $14.99 for it which is about 3 times what I normally pay but I thought I was getting a pretty solid piece. Not to worry, with some elbow grease and a cool graphic from thegraphicsfairy.com I have a beautiful piece of furniture.
Here is what I thought I was getting:
Here is what I got:
Normally I would just wipe down the piece and start painting but that obviously was not going to work here. Ready Patch is to go-to product for this problem. You can find it in Home Improvement stores, it's easy to work with, dries solidly and cleans up with soap and water. Since I had it out, I filled in all the deeper scratches and dents as well as some "bites" out of the edges. It is a thick putty consistency and it is applied and smoothed out with a standard putty knife.
Here are a few photos of the process:
Fill all the holes, scrapes, dings, etc. You're looking for thin coat so that once it dries it makes the sanding process easier. I waited until the next day to begin sanding because those center holes were so deep. Sanding creates a lot of dust so wear a mask and make it as smooth as possible. I uses a sanding block and 200 grit paper.
I went over the whole piece filling in any dents, let it dry and sanded. Because of the intricate work on the legs, I used a dry paint brush to remove all the sanding dust from the crevices.
Next I selected the two Van Gogh colors to create a subtle finish. I went with Revenge over Bole. Starting with Bole, letting it dry, adding Revenge, allowing it to dry and then distress.
Please take a good, long look at this surface! See any holes?? Exactly. The combination of the correct prep work and the quality of this paint is incredible.
The distressing process is very different in Van Gogh Paintlology in that it is wet distressing. I wanted to remove some of the second coat to reveal the first coat underneath. Using a soft wet rag does the trick. This avoids the sanding dust produced with other products. I feel like I am using less paint and wasting less as a result.
Now its on to the final stage. I wanted to add a graphic in gold to match the caps on the legs of the table. This really pulls the whole project together. I used a gold paint pen to add the graphic to the table top. Using chalk on the back of the graphic allows you to trace over it in pencil and once it is traced onto the top, go over it with the paint pen.
So now it is complete and ready for a closeup!
So Pretty!! I just love the way this turned out!! Especially given the 3 deep holes that I started with!
I'll be more careful in selecting my next piece but knowing that I can still get a great result with a little know-how is very satisfying!